Delivering real China networks and pathways
SEENET traces its history to 1998 and the friendship and partnership that was formed between Auckland University Masters students Wayne Huang and Paul Rothville, along with Associate Professor Dr Kenneth Jackson. Together there was a deep understanding around the existing lack of genuine networks and pathways to assist China – New Zealand business and investment relationships.
Over the last 18 years Wayne, Paul and Kenneth have individually worked extensively across all levels of the China New Zealand economic and political relationship to address this. Our collective experiences include:
- leading two-way trade and investment delegations
- direct representation of New Zealand companies in the China market
- development and execution of marketing and promotion strategies, campaigns and collateral
- investment and trade negotiations
- identification of potential trade and investment partners
- development of channels to market, market entry strategy and resolution of market access issues
- trade and investment government policy and strategy formulation
- representation of New Zealand at central and local government in its China relations
- China New Zealand education exchange, and tertiary research
- building positive community links between new Chinese migrants and local residents
Milestones and Achievements
In our short history SEENET already boasts an impressive track record, setting a new standard by delivering successful outcomes in the following areas:
- Trade / E Commerce: providing an exclusive channel to the Chinese market for New Zealand dairy, health and beauty products (see here)
- Business Consultancy: assisting China’s top corporates and investors to develop and successfully execute their New Zealand plans
- Culture: visits to and functions held at SEENET’s famous Whitford Bird Garden
For more information see here
Our Unique Credentials
- Founding Member and Deputy Chair of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce (NZ)
- China Business Advisor to ATEED (Auckland Economic Development agency)
- Strategic partnership with New Zealand Asia Institute (University of Auckland)
- Exclusive E Commerce channel to China through leading Chinese universities (see here)
- Extensive portfolio of work with leading Chinese businesses and investors
- 35 years combined direct experience in central and local government supporting China – New Zealand connections
- Expert in Civil Society consultation, Local Body processes, and community development
Paul Rothville – Chief Executive Officer
Paul comes from a diplomatic and business background having served at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade for ten years, including four of those as New Zealand’s Deputy Consul-General in Shanghai. Paul has previously worked in senior roles within the Department of Labour (in Taiwan) and the Ministry of Social Development, and prior to that was an economic policy advisor to a number of senior Members of Parliament.
Based in Greater China for over a decade, Paul worked on the New Zealand Free Trade Agreement negotiations, the establishment of Air New Zealand’s air services in the region, and New Zealand’s successful attendance at the Shanghai World Expo 2010. Before joining SEENET Paul ran the operations of a China-based New Zealand dairy company successfully grows physical distribution of product to more than ten provinces, and entry into China’s largest online selling platforms.
Paul is fluent in Mandarin Chinese and graduated from the University of Auckland with a Master of Arts (First Class) in Economics. He also holds a Commerce degree in Finance and Investment.
Wayne Huang – Chairman
Since moving to New Zealand in 1992 and completing a Masters in Economics from the University of Auckland, Wayne founded the Institute of Commercial Education New Zealand in 2000.Since that time he has cemented himself as an expert in New Zealand China business. His achievements have been recognised both in China and New Zealand, and in particular he can boast the following:
- Deputy Chairman of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce in New Zealand since 2001
- Awarded as one of the “top 10 overseas Chinese” by Guangdong Province in 2013
- Elected representative to the former Manukau City Council and current Auckland City Council
- First Chinese migrant to be recognised as an Honorary member of the Pakuranga Rotary Club
- China Business Advisor to the Auckland Council Economic Development Agency (ATEED)
- Professional honorary appointments with three of China’s most prestigious universities
- Specific recognition by the Auckland Mayor Len Brown for his contribution towards Chinese business and developing international relationships
Dr Kenneth Jackson Senior Advisor
Dr Jackson is an Associate Professor at the University of Auckland, and former Director of the Centre for Development Studies (Auckland University). He has previously worked on China Food Security Issues and in more recent times has concentrated on International Openness and Migration. Dr Jackson holds a PhD from the University of Kent at Canterbury in Economic History
Mr John Li – General Manager
John is a recognised leader in the New Zealand Health Supplement and Dairy Industry, particularly in the areas of operations and management. With an MBA in Business Administration, John spent the last ten years leading the R&D, production and brand promotion for one of New Zealand’s most famous pharmaceutical companies.
Dr Charles Johnston
Dr Johnston is a Senior Lecturer at the School of Hospitality and Tourism at the Auckland Unviversity of Technology. His research is mostly in the area of sustainable tourism with a focus on Asia and New Zealand. Dr Johnston holds a PhD in Ecotourism Planning and Management from the University of Hawaii
Mr Ken Davie
Mr Davie had a distinguished career with the Royal New Zealand Army and is a retired SAS soldier.
E -Commerce Partnership – China
China’s E commerce market has grown rapidly to now represent the largest digital retail market in the world. With size also comes sophistication and the costs of successfully selling on platforms such as Taobao, Tmall, Amazon, JD.com, have increased rapidly. Extensive online marketing and promotion is required to capture customer attention in a market flooded with competitors.
To assist New Zealand companies SEENET has invested heavily in creating a unique and exclusive channel to market by partnering with some of China’s top universities and leading talents in the eCommerce space. Products included in SEENET’s programme will have literally thousands of distributors each pushing the products to their established customers. To further support this programme SEENET is soon to launch a market leading New Zealand pavilion (exhibition space) in China where potential customers and distributors can view products before purchase. For more information please contact us directly ( Contact us) .